Thursday, February 21, 2013

DIY: Gold Polka Dot Lampshade

The DIY bug hit me yesterday.  I was just itching to make over something.  Does anyone else get that bug much?  Anyway, I decided to attack some lampshades.

You may remember what my bedroom looks like from this post.

IMG_2184

It’s nice and coming together well, but it’s kind of cold and boring.  One thing that was bothering me in particular were the gray lampshades. So I switched them out for the plain white lampshades I had originally bought for these lamps almost five years ago.

IMG_2327

IMG_2328

That looks a little bit better but still quite boring.  So out came my new gold sharpie:

IMG_2330

I wanted to make this as easy and free form as possible, so I went with some scattered polka dots, inspired by one of my faves, kate spade

photo via Creature Comforts

And here’s how it turned out:

IMG_2332

What do you think?  I’m a little underwhelmed to be honest.  I thought the gold color would be more like in the kate spade dishes above, but this is definitely more of a brown gold.

IMG_2333

IMG_2334

I do kind of like how it mimics the gold nail head trim on the headboard.  Since I’m not in love with it yet I wanted to get your opinions before I do the second one.  I do like it better than the gray lampshades though. 

IMG_2335

So what do you think I should do? I have four options:

  1. Go back to the gray shades
  2. Embrace the polka dots and do my other white shade to match
  3. Add something or change something to the polka dot shades
  4. Scrap the whole thing and buy brand new lamp shades

Help! 

2 comments:

  1. Maybe add a thin gold line to the top and bottom rims of the shade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the gold dots, but think you should add something. Not sure what though...

    ReplyDelete